- Course Leader Bbs Recreation and Sport Management (Lv 7 & 8) / Lecturer in DHSES
- Health Sciences -Sport And Exercise Science
- +353 0 51845686
- [email protected]
- O'Connell Bianconi - Health Sciences Building
- Main Campus
My Blog or Website
I have been a lecturer in the Department of Health, Sport and Exercise Science since 2008. I teach mainly on the Recreation and Sport Management and Sport Coaching and Performance degree programmes. I am currently conducting a PhD in the area of talent development in Irish football. I am the course leader for the Bbs (Hons and Ord) in Recreation and Sport Management (WD019).
Currently studying for a PhD on talent development in Irish football: organisational practices.
Supervisors: Dr David Richardson, Dr Martin Littlewood (Liverpool John Moores University), Dr. Jean McArdle (WIT)
Finnegan, L., Richardson, D., Littlewood, M. & McArdle, J. (2016). The influence of date and place of birth on youth player selection to a National Football Association elite development programme. Science and Medicine in Football, 2016, http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02640414.2016.1254807
Finnegan, L. & McArdle, J. (2015). Guest chapter: Football on Film: The Portrayal of Sportsmanship. In Sportsmanship: Multidisciplinary Perspectives, Delaney, T. McFarland: North Carolina. https://www.amazon.com/Sportsmanship-Multidisciplinary-Perspectives-Tim-Delaney/dp/078649803X
Finnegan, L., Doyle, C. & McArdle, J. (2014). Emerging Talent: A review of elite Irish youth football players. FAI.
Finnegan, L., Richardson, D., Littlewood, M. & McArdle, J. (2013). Talent Identification within the Emerging Talent Programme. Presented at the 2014 All Ireland Postgraduate Conference in Sport Sciences and Physical Education, 24 January 2014, Limerick, Ireland.
Finnegan, L., Richardson, D., Littlewood, M. & McArdle, J. (2014). Talent Identification within the Emerging Talent Programme. Presented at the 2014 PEPAYS Conference in Waterford Institute of Technology, 6 June, 2014, Waterford, Ireland.
Finnegan, L., Doyle, C. & McArdle, J. (2014). Emerging Talent: A review of elite Irish youth football players. Poster presented at the 2014 PEPAYS Conference in Waterford Institute of Technology, 6 June, 2014, Waterford, Ireland.
Modules Past/ Present
Recreation Management Issues
Sports Pedagogy and Skill Development
Talent Identification and Long Term Athlete Development
Sport & Exercise Psychology
My Professional Experience
- Director on the board of Splachworld 2016 - present
- Director on the board of Waterford LEDC (Cill Barra) 2015 - present
- Various leisure centre positions (Co. Louth and Waterford) 2003 - 2007
- Olympic volunteer London 2012, liason for Team Ireland, south Africa, Japan and China - St. Mary’s college, Twickenham 2012 (July – August)
- Strength and conditioning coach - Waterford utd 2011 – 2013
- Strength and conditioning coach - Waterford utd (u19’s) 2011 – 2013
- Tutor National Certificate in Exercise and Fitness (level 2 ‘team sport fitness) 2011 - present
- Sport psychology consultant to various clubs/athletes/groups: 2007- present
- Fitness testing service and strength and conditioning consultant for various teams: 2009 – present.
- Fitness trainer and sport psychology interventions with the WIT scholarship programme: 2009-2013
- Periodical fitness testing and strength and conditioning programming, sport psychology interventions with a number of athletes from a wide range of sports (e.g. athletics, football)
- Ireland u16 men’s basketball team sport psychologist and fitness coach: 2009-2010 - Involved working with the first team and development squad from October 2009 to August 2010, culminating in travelling to the European championships in Estonia. Conducted a multitude of sessions both with the whole team and individually. E.g. goal setting, performance profiling, arousal regulation, mental toughness, confidence. Also year long periodised fitness programmes.
- Work placement with Reading FC (England): 2006 - Involved observing and performing short sport psychology interventions with the Reading FC academy squad for a period of 5 weeks for placement through my Masters.
Professional member of BASES (British Association of Sport and Exercise Science). Number #102059.
ILAM member (Institute of Leisure and Amenity Management)
Football Association of Ireland Coaches Association (FAICA). Number # 100171